The Korean War Legacy Foundation is pleased to partner with the Ministry of Veterans and Patriots Affairs and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Foundation for our annual World Congress of Teachers, 2022. This event serves to recognize the sacrifice of our Korean War veterans and the importance of teaching about the War’s legacy in our schools.
Participant Program »
Participants in the World Congress will actively engage in the activities and instructional materials that have been developed to teach about the Korean War while also attending historic events marking the anniversary of the armistice of the Korean War. It will be a true honor to be able to participate in the Korean War Veterans Wall of Remembrance Dedication Ceremony and witness the unveiling of the new memorial with the families of the fallen. In addition to our selected participants, the commemoration ceremonies will be attended by honored politicians including the South Korean president, high-ranking military officers, and others impacted by the Korean War.
- Currently teach social studies for grades 6-12.
- Have a desire to learn and teach about the Korean War and its legacy.
- Currently teaches a course that could include instruction on the Korean War.
- Interested in continuing the work completed at the conference through a fellowship or special project.
- If accepted, teachers are required to type a transcript for one of our interviews or create a profile for THE 22.
- $50 Registration fee is required upon acceptance.
- Single occupancy hotel rooms will be provided July 25th through July 28th. Rooms with two double beds can be requested, but not guaranteed. Check-in time is 3PM and check-out is noon.
- Participants are expected to attend all meals and events. Guests are not permitted to attend any program-sponsored events/meals.
- All meals will be provided from the evening of July 25th through the evening of July 27th. Meals will not be provided on July 28th.
- Up to $400 reimbursement for travel will be provided (flight or mileage)- receipts must be submitted prior to July 15th, 2022.
- Participants are responsible for hotel parking if driving.
- A hotel shuttle is available from Reagan National Airport
NOTE: Travel reimbursements will be issued upon approved submission of a The 22 Veteran Profile or veteran interview transcript. More information about this requirement will be sent to all accepted participants.
- Participants are expected to bring a laptop.
- Dress for all events is summer business casual for all teacher workshops. The gala is semi-formal (jacket/tie for men/ dress or suit for women). The Wall of Remembrance ceremony will be held outside and “summer business casual” (including dress shorts) is acceptable.
|Monday, July 25th
|All participants must check-in to the hotel by 4:00pm. Check in begins at 3:00pm
|Program Welcome and Introduction
|Dinner with Speaker
|Tuesday, July 26th
|Lunch with Teacher Program
|Travel to Korean War Memorial Site via bus
|Visit Memorial Site with Families of the Fallen
|Travel back to the hotel/ break
|Banquet with the Families of the Fallen sponsored by Korean War Memorial Veterans Foundation
|Wednesday, July 27th
|Travel to the Wall of Remembrance Memorial site
|Korean War Veterans Wall of Remembrance Dedication Ceremony- more information
|Travel back to hotel- box lunch and break
|Twilight Tattoo Program – more information
|Thursday, July 28th
|Participants depart at any time. Check out by 12:00pm
The Conference was made possible through the generous support of the Ministry of Patriots and Veterans Affairs of the Republic of Korea.