James Lamar Stone served in the US Army, Company E 8th Cavalry Regiment, 1st Cavalry Division. He was born Dec. 27, 1922, in Pine Bluff, AK and grew up in Hot Springs. He studied chemistry at the University of Arkansas, where he was in the Army's Reserve Officers' Training Corps. He graduated with a bachelor's degree in chemistry and worked for General Electric in Houston before being called to active duty in 1948. He was sent to Korea in March 1951. President Eisenhower presented the Medal of Honor to him and six other men for the bravery and leadership he demonstrated on the night of November 21, 1951 fighting an overwhelming amount of Chinese troops with his 48-man platoon in a hilltop near Seokkogae. In that battle, he was shot twice in the leg and once in the neck. When it was over, half his unit had been killed, and most of the survivors were wounded. Captured along with six other survivors, Lt. Stone was released after 22 months imprisonment in September 1953 from a POW camp located in the Byeokdong near Yalu River. Returning to the United States, he continued to serve in the US Army and participated in a tour of duty during the Vietnam War in 1971. He retired from the Army after 30 years and joined his son’s home-building business. Official citation from the Medal of Honor recipients: “1st Lt. Stone, distinguished himself by conspicuous gallantry and indomitable courage above and beyond the call of duty in action against the enemy. When his platoon, holding a vital outpost position, was attacked by overwhelming Chinese forces, 1st Lt. Stone stood erect and exposed to the terrific enemy fire calmly directed his men in the defense. A defensive flame-thrower failing to function, he personally moved to its location, further exposing himself, and personally repaired the weapon. Throughout a second attack, 1st Lt. Stone; though painfully wounded, personally carried the only remaining light machine gun from place to place in the position in order to bring fire upon the Chinese advancing from 2 directions. Throughout he continued to encourage and direct his depleted platoon in its hopeless defense. Although again wounded, he continued the fight with his carbine, still exposing himself as an example to his men. When this final overwhelming assault swept over the platoon's position his voice could still be heard faintly urging his men to carry on, until he lost consciousness. Only because of this officer's driving spirit and heroic action was the platoon emboldened to make its brave but hopeless last ditch stand.” He died on November 9, Friday at this home in Arlington, TX. He was 89 years old. Col. Stone is survived by his wife Mary Lou, his son James Stone Jr., his son Raymond, and his grandchildren. President Han of the KWVDM Foundation interviewed Col. Stone on October 20, 2012 at his home in Arlington, TX.